[LinuxBIOS] Can't compile flashrom

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 28 01:19:01 CET 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 15:50, David Hendricks wrote:
> I've had similar issues after upgrading my compilation toolchain
> incorrectly and will wager a guess that the issues you are facing have more
> to do with your distribution than with flashrom. A few questions that come
> to mind -- Have you recently upgraded system packages such as libc, gcc,
> etc? Also, are you using crosstool? Do you have all the -devel packages
> installed which distros like Debian and Redhat tend to omit.

Yeah, it does seem to be something with this distro, since others can build it
successfully.

> Also, I think Mandriva / SuSE / Redhat / etc. have features tucked away
> which can help you to upgrade your whole distro from "basic" to "developer"
> or something to automagically install all -devel packages and libraries. If
> you have the hard disk space available, you may wish to try something like
> that just to be certain there's no easy fix.

They used to have an install option to make it a developer workstation, which
I did select when I installed 2007.0 on my desktop. I've successfully built
quite a few packages on it without any problems like this. I haven't done any
recent updates.

On the laptop, where it's 2008.0, they've eliminated that developer option to
simplify the installer. But I've manually installed everything I need for
building packages. I've built a few packages and this is the first I've seen
something like this.

It's odd how the same problem occurs in two completely different versions of
Mandriva. But I'll have to check on the Mandriva lists and see what they say.

> On Nov 25, 2007 8:24 AM, Shocky <shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > The header is there in /usr/include/pci/pci.h,
> > and /usr/lib/libpci.a is there (but I don't know how to tell what symbols
> > the library provides; reached the limit of my expertise there).
>
> nm is your friend here ;-)

Thanks, I knew there had to be a command that would do this. This just deepens
the mystery further. nm tells me that within /usr/lib/libpci.a access.o
defines the external symbol "00000760 T pci_alloc". So if nm can see it, why
can't ld see it?

Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.