[LinuxBIOS] r64 - in buildrom-devel: config/platforms packages/linuxbios packages/linuxbios/patches

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Nov 28 21:39:19 CET 2007

On 28/11/07 21:19 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:49:12PM +0100, svn at openbios.org wrote:
> > a patch against LinuxBIOS to allow the Serengeti-Cheetah platform
> > to come up on its emulated self in the SimNow simulator.
>
> Should this go into LB proper?

That is a good question.  The defining factor is how many of
the differences are because of bugs in SimNow, and how many are because
of fundamental differences in how SimNow works.  In this case, we have
two problems.  The first is the non-coherent hypertransport problem,
which one is definitely a SimNow issue that has been fixed
in the NDA version, and will hopefully dribble out to the public version.
But until it does, we need to work around it.  In this case, I would
want to stick with an external patch , because its not LinuxBIOS's fault
that SimNow is buggy.

The second problem has to do with the behavior of the other nodes after
CAR is turned off on the BSP.  Its hard to tell if this is a SimNow
bug or limitation, we're still investigating.  If it does turn out to be
a SimNow limitation, then it would be proper to add a SimNow configuration
option to LinuxBIOS and build it as a separate target.  Obviously, thats
a non-optimal solution, and I would like to avoid that at all costs.

Short story long, I think the patch should stay as a patch for now, while
we're optimistic that SimNow bugs could account for the failures.  If in
the future, we figure out that this is just part of SimNow's nature, we can
add it to be a permanent part of LinuxBIOS.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer