[LinuxBIOS] Multi-TB fileserver

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:40:10 CET 2007

I've had a couple of questions on what I'm doing and if this multi-TB
server is a commercial product...  So I'm posting the response to the list.

I'm still working hard at OLPC.  My @laptop.org address isn't on the
linuxbios list.

The fileserver project is personal.

- I've got a large amount of old LP albums that I'm going to digitize to
96k 24-bit, do scratch removal, and then encode to flac, mp3, and ogg.

- I've got a whole butload of stuff on old hard drives and sorts of
different media and no longer a big 3000 sqft home to store it all in.
(Moving to Boston really showed me how much crap I had).  I tire of
having to find a machine or a USB->IDE dongle to prowl whats on the old HD.

- A few big ass boxes of CD's that need ripped.

- Interest in setting up a some nodes of some of the distributed
peer-to-per cluster type storage stuff I see. For save it to the mesh
and it never goes away type thing.

Basically to start heading toward some sort of setup where I can
archive/cache all my data in one place and then index it.

Rather than your average NAS plus a server to drive it I was thinking I
would use LB and a SATA mother board to roll it all together.

So searching for motherboards that have >= 4 SATA ports and LinuxBios
support I was quite happy to find the GA-M57LSI.

Working with current 1TB disks and soft-RAID5 I should be able to scale
this up to 5 TB.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone at gmail.com