[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI SPI support

Alan Carvalho de Assis acassis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:52:31 CEST 2007

2007/10/1, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:

> On 30.09.2007 22:03, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:
> > Hi Carl-Daniel,
> >
> > 2007/9/28, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:
> > sic
> >> Yes, looking for testers.
> >>

> > Currently I'm off finishing my master degree thesis but I still
> > reading LB posts and I want to know if exist some memory size
> > limitation on LPC-to-SPI?
>
> Yes, but it depends on the translation chip. For the IT8176F, we get
> exactly 1152kBytes if we can trust the datasheet. I prefer not to trust
> it, but so far nodoby has done experiments.

So it needs more some experiments.

> > Today we are limited at 2MB BIOS LPC flash but SPI flash can have too
> > many mega bytes. Is possible to use bigger SPI flash using this
> > LPC-to-SPI convertion?
>
> Yes and no. You can still read chips up to 16MBytes by hand, but it is
> CPU-intensive. I might write a driver for that in the future, though.
> Please note that more than 16MBytes can't be addressed with the SPI
> flash protocol because of its limitation to 24bit addresses.

Sure. At SST web site the max. flash size I found is 4MBytes (32Mbits).

> If you ever find a SPI flash chip with more than 16MBytes, please tell
> me. I'd like to take a look at its data sheet.

I never work with SPI flash. But I think an option is to use 2 chips
and select them using chip selects (it needs some hacks).

> Carl-Daniel

Cheers,

Alan

|                     Alan Carvalho de Assis                |