[LinuxBIOS] FW: 440BX progress / superio w83977tf-aw

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Oct 3 01:54:50 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:21:23PM +0000, Idwer Vollering wrote:
> http://linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-November/017262.html
>
> It boots (v2 r2811), but serial outputs says 'Can not load ELF Image.' which is correct because i didn't yet manage to get filo appended as a payload from targets/asus/p2b/Config.lb.
>
> What options in Config.lb must be set to create enough space to include filo.elf (about 94 KB) using both normal and fallback sections; option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE = (some_substracted_size) * 1024 ?

No changes needed in Config.lb, I suggest you simply make filo smaller
for now. Disable all unneeded options (ReiserFS, CDROM support, XFS
support, all debugging, etc). You only need very few of the options.
My filo.elf is 54KB, which is small enough for pretty much all boards.

> Also, superio (from r2811) won't recognize the onboard winbond w83977tf-aw.

It is (partly) recognized, otherwise you wouldn't get any serial output.

The Config.lb stuff below is only executed very late in the boot
process, but the serial console init (which needs the Super I/O) happens
earlier. As you have serial output, that code works ok.

> chip northbridge/intel/i440bx
>         device pci_domain 0 on
>                 device pci 0.0 on end # host bridge
>                 device pci 1.0 on end # pci bridge / agp device/bridge
>                         chip southbridge/intel/i82371eb # southbridge
>                                 device pci 4.0 on end # isa bridge
>                                         chip superio/winbond/w83977tf # superio, winbond w83977tf-aw
>                                                 device pci 4.1 on end # ide interface
>                                                 device pci 4.2 on end # usb controller
>                                                 device pci 4.3 on end # acpi bridge

This looks broken. The PCI devices should not be inside the Super I/O section.
Instead the superio-related stuff should be there. Have a look at some
other boards for examples. The output of 'lspnp -v' (from original BIOS,
and with all hardware attached, e.g. PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, etc)
should give you some hints (please also post it here).

I'll try to dig out my P2B tomorrow or so and see how far I get, and
maybe post some patch to improve it a bit. Please note that the 440BX
code is still not very generic, it'll probably not work for this board
(only the Tyan S1846 is confirmed to work so far). Fixing this is on
my (huge) TODO list.

Uwe.