[LinuxBIOS] Call for help: superiotool

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Oct 3 05:21:41 CEST 2007

[Please always reply to the list]

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 12:01:09PM -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> wrote:
> >
> >    Supporting new ones is relatively easy, but a bit time-consuming.
> >    You have to grab the datasheet, find out the ID/version of the
> >    Super I/O and add it in the respective file (ite.c for ITE Super I/Os,
> >    for example). For the dump functionality you have to add a (large) table
> >    with all registers and their defaults.
>
> I went through with the 8726F and saw how the register table in ite.c
> matched up with the datasheet, but I couldn't find the ID/Version
> number mentioned anywhere in the datasheet.  For ITE chips it looks
> like the ID generally matches up with the name of the chip, but I
> figure that it would be best if I could actually look up that
> information in the datasheet -- especially if other chips don't follow
> this convention.

Yes, you should definately look up the ID. Many other chips/vendors use
various different IDs of various sizes and in various locations.

> What's the best way for me to search through a datasheet to find the ID/Version?

There's no general rule, but look for something like "chip id" or "chip
revision" or similar. Usually this information (together with the
required init sequence and ports) is somewhere near the
"Global Configuration Registers" or "PNP configuration" or similar
chapter.

HTH, Uwe.