[LinuxBIOS] Normal vs. fallback images and CMOS

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Oct 6 19:18:27 CEST 2007

* Jonathan Sturges <jonathansturges at yahoo.com> [071006 18:04]:
> Question.  If an embedded board has no battery backup, it should have
> no (usable) CMOS.  Therefore, is a "Normal" image required on such a
> system?  My understanding is that CMOS settings are required to force
> the Fallback image to boot, except in cases of an missing or corrupt
> Normal image.

It's rather the other way around. CMOS allows the Normal image to be
booted. So without CMOS you always boot the Fallback image. Which is
good, because Fallback uses the hardcoded default values for all
otherwise CMOS drives variables.

So just drop the Normal image.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613