[LinuxBIOS] MACH BOOT

Jun OKAJIMA okajima at digitalinfra.co.jp
Sun Oct 7 06:08:06 CEST 2007

>2007/10/6, Jun OKAJIMA <okajima at digitalinfra.co.jp>:
>>
>> Maybe you already know this?
>>
>> MACH BOOT is a very fast CD booting Linux.
>> It boots Linux desktop in less than 10 sec from CD.
>>
>> Check it out please.
>> http://www.machboot.com/
>>
>It is fantastic, very good results.
>
>> Then, why I mail here?
>>
>> The current issue for making boot faster is, not a Linux issue
>> but BIOS issue. Linux can boot less than 10 sec, but BIOS
>> uses more than 20 sec!.
>>
>> ANY HELP?. Of course, using Linux BIOS is one choice.
>>

>I think using LinuxBIOS is the best choice. Using LinuxBIOS and Linux
>with graphical aplications (kdrive and matchbox) built in inside BIOS
>Flash I got < 10s startup (with no optimizations). You just need get a
>supported board
>(http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/Supported_Motherboards) and make a
>try.

I checked the video. It looks great. Good work.
But, your way limits functionality. You can use only Tiny/X and busybox and...
If you use Firefox, using CD-ROM is necessary, right?

So, combining your way and my way would be a right choice.

And, the problem is not only BIOS, but a firm ware of CD-ROM also.
In some drives, to recognize a medium and start reading requies more than 10 sec.
I mean, to start reading uses more time than booting Linux itself.
To solve this, probably so-called "LinuxFirmware" would be necessary...

I need ATAPI commands like these.
SET_MEDIA( media_type="CD-R", media_format="SINGLE_SESSION" )
START_SPIN( speed="MAX", wait=0)
If you can send these commands in the early stage of BIOS booting,
it gets more faster to start reading a medium.

        --- Okajima, Jun. Tokyo, Japan.
            http://www.machboot.com/