[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI-S4 SPI or MS-7260

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Oct 8 11:28:42 CEST 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:52:03AM -0400, Josh Profitt wrote:
> If i go with the GA-M57SLI-S4, I assume I will end up with one of
> the SPI bios boards.

Yeah, that's likely.

> Has anyone managed to try this mod yet?
> http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-September/024395.html

I've heard neither success nor failure reports.

> I can probably get through the soldering, but my electronics knowledge
> isn't that great, so I would hate to be the guinea pig for the mod.

The most important prerequisite for this mod is having a decent
soldering iron. It doesn't have to be the EUR300 kind, but it's nice
if it was around the 100. Then it has good temperature control and a
quality tip.

An experienced hand can get good temp and tip also with really low
quality soldering gear, but for a beginner the tools can make or
break.

//Peter