[LinuxBIOS] Dell Inspiron 6400

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Oct 12 11:59:19 CEST 2007

Hi Nistur,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:21:00AM +0100, Nistur wrote:
> I was wondering how feasable this would be on my laptop.

Unfortunately not at all in the short term.

We don't have documentation that we need for any newer Intel chipsets
and until we do, we're not likely to write the code.

Intel does not want to give out documentation to us flat out. There
is various speculations on why, but either they don't want to help us
compete with their EFI or they just think it's a waste of time since
we won't make them any money in the short term.

We focus on working with AMD instead, since they do want to work with
us and are an active supporter of the project we get results quicker.

> My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive so I can't even hope to
> reflash the BIOS if everything goes pear-shaped can I? Or will
> a USB Floppy work even with a dud BIOS?

No floppy works if your boot flash chip is hosed. The only option is
to reflash that flash chip outside your system.

(In another system, or in a standalone couple-hundred-dollar flash
programmer.)

//Peter