[LinuxBIOS] ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Oct 12 12:51:38 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 12:37:36PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:18:54AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 11:20:07AM -0500, Arturo Mann wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > > I am wondering if this board is supported at all:
> > > Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, based on an nVidia MCP55 (NF570-SLI), running
> > > with an Amd Athlon64 6000+ X2
> >
> > The components are supported but noone has made an effort to make
> > this particular board work.
> >
> > So no, I don't think the board is supported yet. But if you want to
> > try to port an existing MCP55 board it is significantly less effort
> > than writing support from scratch.
>
> Yep. If you have a null-modem cable (for serial debug output) and a
> second, compatible flash chip, the tool to remove the chip and replace
> it with another one, and if you're willing to test patches, please let
> us know. We can provide you patches which will probably work after
> one or two tries...
>
> First steps, can you please run 'superiotool -dV' on the box? Also,
> is your BIOS chip in a socket? Is it a PLCC chip? (see website for details).
>
> Then, post 'lspci -nn' and 'lspnp -v' if possible.

Arg, maybe I should actually read your post before I reply... lspci is
there, flash ROM is PLCC and socketed (which is good)!

You can run 'flashrom' (without arguments) to find out whether flashrom
recognizes your chip. If you have a spare chip with a backup copy of
your original BIOS you could even try if writing to a chip works
(flashrom -wv foo.img).

Uwe.