[LinuxBIOS] Question about contribution to the LinuxBIOS

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Oct 12 17:05:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 08:10:16PM +0800, JGong at winbond.com wrote:
> >Provide datasheets.
>
> We could provide the latest datasheet for our chips if any developer
> needs.

That's great to hear!

> >SuperIO driver development
>
> According to the source code, it seems that the superIO driver will
> perform the action instead of the factory BIOS code, am I right?

Yes, it's not an OS-level driver, but rather some code in LinuxBIOS
itself. It runs at boot-time, milliseconds after the power-on.

> And when a new superIO driver is completed, how can we test it?

Hm, I think the only way is to do this on a supported mainboard. You
_can_ test the early COM1 serial init of the Super I/O on almost any
board (that part can work even before the RAM is initialized by LinuxBIOS),
but the other stuff (PNP init for LDNs) is done later and will likely only
be possible to test on boards (more or less) fully supported by LinuxBIOS.

http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards

> >Some help with embedded controllers in laptops/notebooks
>
> So far, I've got no ideas with this part. :(

OK, please let us know if/when you can find out more about this, that's
a very "hot topic" for LinuxBIOS, as we currently don't support any laptops.

> >Superiotool
>
> We could provide the information of our superIO output.

Yep, thanks!

> Anyway, I hope I can help a bit about our superIO chips' work in the
> future.

Great, thanks! That's very appreciated.

For reference (for the LinuxBIOS mailing list subscribers), here's the