[LinuxBIOS] USB Debug Port hardware?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Oct 13 17:24:12 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 04:39:19PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> just curious -- where do we get hardware to use with the USB Debug
> Port debugging functionality in LinuxBIOS? Can you buy something in
> stores?

Get the NET20DC from e.g. semiconductorstore.com.
I paid USD 80+VAT+shipping.

> Is this specialized,

Yes.

> high-price hardware?

Not that bad.

> Can you build your own?

In theory, but it's too much work IMO. It must support high speed USB
signalling and all the standalone chips that do are fine-pitch SMD
which brings it's own set of issues with PCB manufacturing and
supporting passive components even if one is comfortable soldering
the .2mm wide pins by hand.

> Are there any HOWTOs?

The USB debug class device specification contains all you need to
know about how the device functions. Note that the class spec
describes a device with USB on both ends. That's not strictly
neccessary as long as the host end of the device can keep up with the
bandwidth - important because the debug port has reduced error
recovery IIRC.

//Peter