[LinuxBIOS] USB Debug Port hardware?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Oct 13 18:19:20 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 05:24:12PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 04:39:19PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> > just curious -- where do we get hardware to use with the USB Debug
> > Port debugging functionality in LinuxBIOS? Can you buy something in
> > stores?
>
> Get the NET20DC from e.g. semiconductorstore.com.
> I paid USD 80+VAT+shipping.

Yeah, it's not exactly cheap, but it could be worse.

> > Are there any HOWTOs?
>
> The USB debug class device specification contains all you need to
> know about how the device functions. Note that the class spec
> describes a device with USB on both ends. That's not strictly
> neccessary as long as the host end of the device can keep up with the
> bandwidth - important because the debug port has reduced error
> recovery IIRC.

Thanks! Can you put some (short) general information and links to the
device plus a quick HOWTO for using it in Linux here?

http://linuxbios.org/EHCI_Debug_Port

Is this the only device of this type? Do you know other such products?

I guess this will become more important very soon as serial ports start
fading away from many boards...

Uwe.