[LinuxBIOS] buildrom configurations for serengeti-cheetah 64-bit

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Fri Oct 26 21:58:08 CEST 2007

I know this patch is pretty rough.  It's just meant as an example of what
I'd like to be able to do with buildrom.  It is a patch which enables most
of buildrom to succeed building for 64-bit.

When I use Linux-As-Bootloader, I want to use a 64-bit kernel so that any
patches I have to do for my hardware only need to be done for one
architecture.

A while ago I did a wiki page
http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Tyan_S2892_Build_Tutorial outlining how to
use buildrom to put the 64-bit kernel in the ROM.

I wanted to fit it into the new buildrom architecture, but I ran into a few
problems:

1.	There's not a clear way to add architectures for targets (Especially
since it really only makes sense for 64-bit)

a.	I think that the same configuration variable should be used for the
target architecture for the kernel and uClibc
b.	We could add a suffix to every default configuration file (e.g.,
defconfig-serengeti_cheetah-i386 or defconfig-serengeti_cheetah-x86_64

2.	It would be nice to be able to set the ROM size if you have a larger
one than comes standard with the platform

I think that buildrom is the way to go and I like the make menuconfig.

In order to make the 64-bit kernel fit as I configured it, I excluded kexec
from the ROM and included a statically-linked kexec on the boot drive, so it
was nice to be able to remove the kexec tools from the image.

As soon as we decide the best way, I'll clean it up and add
serengeti_cheetah-x86_64 support and tyan_s2892-x86_64 support.

Thanks,

Myles