[LinuxBIOS] TSOP systems usable for LinuxBIOS?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Oct 28 03:14:57 CET 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 07:53:34PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> It _looks_ like this has a TSOP (or similar) part (Fujitsu
> MBM29F400TC),

MBM29F400 comes in three surface mount packages, 2 TSOP (pins normal
and pins reversed) and 1 SOP.

> but I haven't yet opened the box (not sure if I will at all). With
> the flashrom patch I just posted I'm able to read back the original
> BIOS image.

If the chip is identified you should have writes working too - yes?

> But how can I do useful development work here if this is really
> TSOP? Does it _always_ mean the part is soldered-on btw?

In a factory produced system, yes. There are sockets for these SMD
packages but they are never used for production systems, only for
development, testing etc.

> I'm _not_ willing/able to get into soldering too much, so is there
> any other possibility I can procede without bricking the box?

Not really. :(

TSOP is tedious to work with by hand. I do not recommend it without
a good deal of soldering experience. (Each pin is .2mm wide, spaced
.5mm apart.) This SOP package is easier (.4mm wide pins 1.27mm apart)
but probably also more uncommon because the package is a lot larger.

There are TSOP clip-on adapters, see e.g. the milksop of Xbox BIOS
hacking fame, but they usually cost several 100 EUR.

There are fairly cheap (few EUR each) TSOP sockets (emulation.com
make them) but I haven't found them availble in small quantities
anywhere. I can only buy 30-50-100-something from their sales rep.
And that still needs the soldering work.

//Peter