[LinuxBIOS] Patch quality

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:51:38 CET 2007

On 10/29/07, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if SiS is coming back, and I wouldn't be surprised if they
> didn't.

Translation: we, collectively, need to do better. I realize we're all
volunteers, and this is a 'time available' activity. Given that, what
can we do better to make this smoother for people?

One possibility is, the next time someone comes in, rather than just
critiquing the code, we get a group of people -- say 3 or 4 -- each of
whom takes on the responsibility for a directory, starting at the
leaves. Something like this:

superio (s)
southbridge(s)
northbridges(s)
cpu

once those are absorbed, we do the mainboard, and then, the target.

This is the 'shepherd' model.

This team would form dynamically and communicate (via the list?) on
the changes that have to be made. But people would have to sign up for
a given piece, and a deadline.

But if we can't do better when someone like Morgan comes in, it's
going to hurt us. I don't feel (me included) that we did what we
needed to do. The 'code critique' approach works in some cases, but
for those who need more assistance, we need a different procedure,
which would be more active and helpful.

ron