[LinuxBIOS] Which BIOS Savior for VIA EPIA M-II?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Oct 30 03:23:56 CET 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 10:22:04AM +0200, Coquelicot wrote:
> I have a brand new VIA EPIA M-II (with 1 GHz CPU) motherboard that
> I would like to boot faster than by factory default (carputer
> projects). I have following purchased BIOS Savior from FrozenCPU :
> RD1-PMC2 but it seems that it is the wrong one

Yes, unfortunately it is. The M-II uses parallel flash so you need
RD1-PL (2Mbit, 256kb) or RD1-PL4 (4Mbit, 512kb). These models are no
longer in production and may be difficult to come by.

> I am tempted to do the direct flashing (ie. without the BIOS
> Savior) but I know that's pretty risky...

I strongly suggest to at least get some extra flash chips.
SST39SF040-70-4C-NHE will work well. Glue plastic push pin
knobs to the top of the chips for a nice handle.

> especially that I want the motherboard boot Linux from CF port (I
> read the howto and I think I know what to do) which can be tricky.

Note that I don't know if anyone has actually gotten this to work. I
made some effort about a year ago but there were issues. There was
some discussion on this very topic about one month ago too, look for
a thread in the archive either late September or beginning of October.

//Peter