[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] ADLO2

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:21:55 CEST 2007

> Hi,

> > I'm interested in trying this on my machine, but I have a couple of
> > questions for you.
> >
> > 1. Can I use LinuxBIOS -> FILO -> ADLO?
> > 	a. It seems like since ADLO is an elf file, this should work, but I
> > get an error "Unsupported file format"
> > 	b. This would be the easiest path for me, since I wouldn't have to
> > re-flash my ROM
>
> I am not familiar how FILO loads and starts an image, but one thing
> comes to my mind: the ELF is a minimalistic one, with lar in mind, it
> has only program headers and no section headers. Maybe this is a problem
> for FILO.
>
> Do the old ADLO images loaded for you?

I used your BIOS-bochs-legacy with the 64k elf header from the repository
and your BIOS-bochs-latest with the 129k elf header.

Here is the output from the serial console for the 64k version:

hdb1:/boot/adlo.legacy.elf
hda: LBA: IC35L020AVER07-0
hdb: LBA: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0
Mounted ext2fs
Loaded 66560 bytes in 55ms (1210KB/s)
Jumping to entry point...
BIOS entry.
FATAL: Keyboard error:31

With the 129k version I get no output from the BIOS:

Enter boot: hdb1:/boot/adlo.elf
hda: LBA: IC35L020AVER07-0
hdb: LBA: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0
Mounted ext2fs
Loaded 132096 bytes in 111ms (1190KB/s)
Jumping to entry point...

Both of these got farther than the simpler elf.

Myles