[LinuxBIOS] AMD 690G chipset support in LinuxBIOS v2

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Sep 12 15:47:10 CEST 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:04:32PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:37:04AM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> > Is there any support coming down the road?
>
> I haven't seen it mentioned.

See Marc's post, they're working on it (which is great!)

> > I'm planning to buy a new system for BIOS experiments in the next
> > few days. This chipset is a candidate for me. I want a chipset with
> > onboard video and K8 processor.
>
> I guess you want a Tyan board then. But I think they're mostly server
> class boards so a bit expensive.

Other alternatives, which are not quite there yet, but good candidates
for the future:

ASUS A8N-E
ASUS A8NE-FM/S
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
maybe others

And if you're willing to invest some more work to add support for a
completely new board, check this list for good candidates:
http://linuxbios.org/Desktops

> > I'm open for any suggestion(s). Basically, I just want a system
> > that can run Vista, support multicore processor and can be used for
> > LinuxBIOS experiments (preferably without soldering stuff needed).
>
> You'll almost always
> need to solder today. Not many boards ship with socketed flash,
> especially not in the desktop segment.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. Check http://linuxbios.org/Desktops, almost
all boards listed there seem to have a socketed BIOS (judging from
PCB photos I found on the web).

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:20:07AM +0200, Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> > I am thinking along the same lines. My primary candidate is NForce
> > 430 since MCP55 is already supported. But that could of course mean
> > absolutely nothing at all. Just because there is working code for
> > one NVidia chipset it doesn't mean that code will be easy to adapt
> > th the 430.
>
> The current support for NVIDIA was written by Yinghai while at AMD
> where he had access to all the neccessary data sheets. I'm not sure
> if he's still got access to good docs from NV?

Dunno either, but my guess is that _without_ those docs you cannot
easily adapt the MCP55 (or CK804) code to another NVIDIA chipset.
But feel free to correct me if it's easier than I think...

Uwe.