[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios support for thinkpads?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Sep 18 23:06:22 CEST 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 03:49:14PM -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop on which to run Ubuntu, and
> Lenovo's Thinkpads look like a good choice.
>
> I like the idea of running an open BIOS, but looking at past posts to
> the mailing list, it appears that certain chipsets (such as those for
> the T60) are not supported:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bios/19651

Correct. No laptop whatsoever (except for the OLPC) is supported by
LinuxBIOS at the moment. We definately like to change that, but at the
moment there's no support at all.

> I believe that certain (older) Thinkpad chipsets are supported, but
> what about the 945

Nope.

> or the 965 (for the T61) ?

Nope.

> The "Supported Chipsets" page (below) hasn't had any updates in a
> couple of months -- is that the best place for me to determine if
> Linux BIOS is compatible with a particular chipset/system?

Yes. That page and this mailing list (or, ultimately: the code).
The last chipset which was added was the Intel 810. Supporting new
chipsets is a _major_ piece of work, so don't expect this to happen
every week or so...

Uwe.