[LinuxBIOS] Call for help: superiotool

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Sep 23 13:21:46 CEST 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 01:13:15PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you may have noticed, we have a relatively new tool called
> 'superiotool' (http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Superiotool) in the
> repository:
>
>  $ svn co svn://linuxbios.org/repos/trunk/util/superiotool
>
> It is able to detect which Super I/O is located on your mainboard,
> and (if the respective code support was added), it can also dump the
> contents of all registers on the Super I/O:
>
>  $ superiotool -d
>
> This will hopefully be helpful in debugging Super I/O related problems,
> e.g. with keyboards, systems sensors and fans, etc.
>
> To make the tool more useful we need
>
>  - As many supported Super I/Os as possible.
>
>    Supporting new ones is relatively easy, but a bit time-consuming.
>    You have to grab the datasheet, find out the ID/version of the
>    Super I/O and add it in the respective file (ite.c for ITE Super I/Os,
>    for example). For the dump functionality you have to add a (large) table
>    with all registers and their defaults.
>
>  - One or two outputs of 'superiotool -d' for each supported Super I/O
>    for reference, so we can compare values for different boards.
>
>    If you have one of the supported Super I/Os (see table in
>    http://linuxbios.org/Superiotool) please run 'superiotool -d'
>    as root, reply to this email and submit the output.
>    We'll then link to your email (in the list archive) in the wiki page.

Oh, and some open questions remain:

Do we want to logs more information in addition to the pure 'superiotool -d'
output? The same Super I/O on different boards can be configured
differently, can be at another port (0x2e / 0x4e) etc. etc.

How about mainboard vendor/name/PCB-revision and lspci -nn? Other information?

Suggestions welcome!

Uwe.