[LinuxBIOS] svn and firewall

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Sep 23 14:27:35 CEST 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Download_LinuxBIOS says that if you are behind a
> firewall that blocks the svn port, you can work around this by using https for
> checkout.
>
> However, in practice this doesn't really work, because at some point it will
> run into the "fetching external item" hack for the util/ directory, and hang
> there.
>
> I would suggest removing the external item hack, and referring to the real
> util/ URL instead.

Interesting problem. The issue is that the svn:externals are hardcoded
to use svn:// to grab the stuff.

Removing the svn:externals links is probably not an option, as many
people want to have the utilities in the v2 / v3 tree.

But we could change the svn:externals links to always use https://
instead of svn://. I verified that it fixes the checkout problems
if the svn port is blocked.

The only issue I see is that we then use the svn _and_ https port for
all checkouts etc. Could that cause other trouble? People behind a
firewall which blocks https but not svn would lose. But I guess
that's a highly unlikely scenario.

Comments?

Uwe.