[LinuxBIOS] A8N5X port

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:46:09 CEST 2007

On 9/27/07, Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com> wrote:

>   - include: someone might break board A in a commit that was only tested
>     on board B.

I can only say it's been a huge problem in the past. I've had cases
where I tried to rebuild linuxbios for an older board, only to find
that "improvements" in "common" code rendered the board unbootable.
this is a particular problem for supermicro motherboards, which change
in trivial ways all the time. An irq table that is common to two
boards may not be a few months later. If the newer board is changed,
the older board is broken. This really happened to me.

Where a bios is concerned, the goal of common code can cause trouble.

that said, I think uwe's approach is really interesting. And I'm happy
to yield on this issue, having stated my opinion. So, please don't
include .c files in other files, but do what you think best otherwise.

thanks!

ron