[coreboot] SELF machine parameters

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Sun Apr 13 05:54:39 CEST 2008

On 13/04/08 03:34 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:15:52PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > We already know what endianism, word size and architecture we're
> > going to run on - SELF is not intended to be portable.
>
> Fair enough. It's not a multi-format binary. (Maybe someone will
> support the fat files in Darwin at some point? :)
>

> > It is constructed when the LAR is,
>
> Ok.
>

> > and is married to that LAR and that LAR only.
>
> Mh, I don't know about this. LAR is an archiver; I will want to
> reuse the SELF.

LAR _used_ to be an archiver.  That model fell apart some time
ago.  Now its more of an archiver inspired file format.

If extracting and reusing the bits is your goal, then neither
SELF nor the current status quo are going to work out, and we need
to go back to ELF post haste.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse