[coreboot] Time for a new project

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Apr 14 01:06:15 CEST 2008

On 14/04/08 00:09 +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Right.  So my base is *not* "ELF is best", but it is "ELF is just fine
> for this, so why would we need another format, with all infrastructure
> overhead that requires?".  So please start by explaining what is bad,
> or even just sub-optimal, in using ELF here.

Most of the arguments for why we don't use ELF today are not mine, and
I wouldn't want to mis-state them.

I worry about how the payload chooser will enumerate and load the
other payloads.  As far as the name / notes issue is concerned, I'm
not clear on how we can keep the headers uncompressed and be able to
access individual segments in the ELF without eventually having to
uncompress the whole thing.

I am also concerned about the extra step when we decompress to
memory and then copy into place.  How can we get around these issues
and still call the result a true ELF file?

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer