[coreboot] Time for a new project

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Apr 15 02:48:51 CEST 2008

>>  Right.  So my base is *not* "ELF is best", but it is "ELF is just
>> fine
>>  for this, so why would we need another format, with all
>> infrastructure
>>  overhead that requires?".  So please start by explaining what is bad,
>>  or even just sub-optimal, in using ELF here.
>
> Let's take it one thing at a time.

Ok, that will help :-)

> First question.
>
> What is the means by which I can create an ELF file such that the
> segment data is compressed, but the segment headers are not, and I can
> know which compression algorithm was used, so that I can do a
> streaming decompress of a segment into memory, a.k.a zero-copy?

Let me start by firing back another question: why do you want this?

If it turns out you really *do* want this, there is always the
PF_MASK_OS field in the p_flags field per segment (an 8-bit field
that any OS can use any way it wants -- and coreboot is an OS as
far as ELF is concerned).

Segher