[coreboot] using grub with coreboot

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Thu Apr 17 19:48:00 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 21:28 +0400 schrieb Mikhail Savchenko:
> I successfully run grub 1.96 from coreboot repository with coreboot on
> my tyan s2850 board and gets grub console.
Great!

> Can anybody give me assist  for getting my linux to boot with it. If I
> right understand I need to place my menu.lst to memdisk, or choose it
> with configfile from my hdd, but I not fully understand how can I do
> that, also I haven’t find the kernel command module so I don’t
> understand how can I set up which kernel to boot.
you need the modules "linux" and "boot", the command is "linux", not
"kernel" (they did that to disambiguate, I think). initrd is still
initrd.

the configfile was renamed to grub.cfg, and also changed a bit in
format, I think. See the usual GRUB2 documentation on that (I'm not too
sure about the format, either)

To get the files into the firmware image, I usually do the following, which
requires the lar tool from coreboot v3: (you can build only lar by running
"make lar" in the root directory of coreboot v3)

$CBV3DIR/build/util/lar/lar -s 30k -c test.lar grub.cfg

you can add more files to the lar file, as you need them, and you have
to adjust the size (argument to -s) accordingly.

then, create a grub module from the lar file:

./bin/grub-mkdiskimage test.lar lib/grub/i386-linuxbios/diskimage.mod

add diskimage and lar (so you get support for the file format as "filesystem")
 to your grub-mkimage arguments.

If there are any issues, feel free to ask!

Hope this helps,
Patrick