[coreboot] TV-Out Plan - need suggestions

Joe joe at settoplinux.org
Mon Apr 21 03:05:53 CEST 2008

Hmm is right. That brings me back to my original question then:

Starting to work on the TV-Out code for the RCA RM4100, and I need some
help. Here is the Logical Plan:

1. Setup a custom vga init (similar to Corey's vga.c for the cn700
northbridge) that will call a i2c (i810_i2c.c which could be used for a
bunch of intel nothbridges) driver from coreboot-v2/src/drivers/i2c/ that
will setup communications with the Tv-out encoder via the GPIO (sda, sdl)
lines in the nothbridge.
2. Then setup a init (that would program the registers, and fire it up)for
the Tv encoder coreboot-v2/src/drivers/tv-out which could also be called
from the nothbridge vga.c.

Here is where it gets tricky. I want to make it dynamic in the respect that
you could specify from your mainboard directory:
a. enable TV encoder usage (if yes setup i2c and program encoder, otherwise
just skip over it).
b. TV-out settings (with a header file??) like NTSC, PAl, resolution,
macrovision, filters, etc.
c. Specify which Tv encoder to use

This would broaden the horizons and allow other boards that have TV-out to
use this code also. The only thing I can think to do is setup some global
parameters? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux