[coreboot] [RFC] Debugging techniques for GeodeLX-based platforms

llandre r&d2 at dave-tech.it
Mon Apr 21 15:17:40 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm going to start my first Geode-based project. I was googling around
to understand which debugging techniques are available for this processor.
So far I found:
* (old fashioned) burn boot flash and see what happens (flash
programming can be performed with external programmer or via JTAG)
* ROM emulator (see for example
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ROM_Emulators_for_OLPC or
http://www.tech-tools.com/er3.htm)

I'm wondering if it is possible to avoid the long burn-debug-recode cycle.
For example, in case JTAG debugger is available, I should be possible to
download the boot code in RAM (on-chip or external) and execute it under
debugger control (I often used this technique in ARM/PowerPC-based
embedded systems).
I was having a look at Geode LX databook and I found that the GeodeLink
Control Processor provides 1KB SRAM that could be suitable for this
purpose. Anybody implemented such solution?
Any comment or advice will be appreciated.

TIA,
llandre

DAVE Electronics System House - R&D Department
web:   http://www.dave.eu
email: r&d2 at dave-tech.it