[coreboot] mkelfimage bad gzip magic numbers with kernel-2.6.25-1.fc9.i586

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 22:38:09 CEST 2008

mkelfimage-2.7-3.fc9.i386
kernel-2.6.25-1.fc9.i586

http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/kernel-2.6.25/vmlinuz-2.6.25-1.fc9.i586
http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/kernel-2.6.25/initrd-2.6.25-1.fc9.i586.img

mkelfImage --command-line="rw selinux=0 verbose noquiet sysrq=1"
--kernel=vmlinuz.ltsp --ramdisk=initrd.ltsp --output=elf.ltsp

http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/kernel-2.6.25/elf.ltsp
Output from the above mkelfImage command.

Both in kvm-0.66 with Plex86/Bochs with Etherboot-5.4 and a Geode LX
coreboot + Etherboot-5.4 [1] the kernel begins booting after downloading
this elf.ltsp file, however it gets stuck at this line:

checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic numbers);
looks like an initrd

At this point SysRQ doesn't seem to work so I can't get any more
information.

I suspect it is something about this very new kernel that is breaking
mkelfImage?  I tried my mkelfImage binary with a 2.6.17-based Ubuntu
kernel and initrd and it seems bootable.

[1]
http://www.artecgroup.com/thincan/models.html
ThinCan (DBE61C-R3)