[coreboot] AMD64 BKDG questions

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Aug 11 14:38:55 CEST 2008

Hi Marc,

sorry for the new load of questions. I'm trying to fully understand our
AMD64 init sequence in the hope of adapting v3 to it. Especially
multicode/multiprocessor support seems to be lacking a bit in v3.

While reading and comparing the various BKDGs, I found an inconsistency.
All BKDGs say the following:
MSR0000_001B APIC Base Address Register (APIC_BAR)
Bit 8 BSP/BSC is read-write.
The AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual Volume 2 says the following:
Bit 8 BSC is read-only.
Which one is correct and does changing that bit even make sense?

Family 10h BKDG, chapter 2.5 Processor State Transition Sequences is empty.

Family 10h and 11h BKDGs suggest in chapter 2.3.3 "Using L2 Cache as
General Storage During Boot" that it is possible to set CAR to WB-DRAM,
fill it with code, then change it to WP-IO and execute code from it. Is
that right? If so, is there a similar ability in older AMD processors?

In the same chapter, the BKDGs also say it is possible to flush CAR
contents to RAM during CAR disabling. "If DRAM is initialized and there
is data in the cache that needs to get moved to main memory, CLFLUSH or
WBINVD may be used instead of INVD". Older BKDGs are a bit fuzzy on
this. Will this work on K8 and later?

For additional bringup verification, we could follow the suggestion of
"Performance monitor event EventSelect 07Fh [L2 Fill/Writeback],
sub-event bit 1, titled 'L2
Writebacks to system', can be used to indicate whether L2 dirty data was
victimized and sent to the disabled memory controller." I don't see any
code in the tree performing this check.

General initialization: I couldn't find the expected BSP/AP CAR/DRAM
sequence. My current understanding is this:
1. Poweron
2. BSP(BSC) running, all APs halted
3. CAR enabled on BSP
4. HT link setup from BSP
5. DRAM on all cores enabled from BSP (did that change with Fam 10h?)
6. CAR disabled on BSP
7. BSP signals all APs to start
8. APs start execution at the reset vector
9. APs enable CAR
10. ???
Depending on the real sequence, my question is how to pass around data
from the APs to the BSP, preferably by letting the APs write to BSP
memory directly.

Locking between cores/processors. Is there a way to atomically access a
common memory location/register from all active cores, even if some of
those cores are still in CAR? Will this work in MP systems?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/