[coreboot] Windows XP boots

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:16:28 CEST 2008

Kevin,

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 04:54:55PM -0600, Myles Watson wrote:
> > It changed the behavior for me for XP installation.  Now I get "Hardware
> > Malfunction  Contact your hardware vendor for support."
>
> Well, I guess that's progress.  :-/  Does it fail after a while, or
> right at the start?  You got through the install with bochs bios,
> right?

It fails at the "Setup is Starting Windows" screen.  It flashes the screen,
then gives the failure message.

That's right, I got through the install with the original Bochs BIOS, but
without any of the 32-bit or PCI functions.

> > I used 6 for the number of PCI buses.
> [...]
> > PCI: 07:09.1 [14e4/1648] enabled
>
> I think you want to set CONFIG_PCI_BUS_COUNT to 8 - it should be one
> more than your largest bus number.

I didn't look closely enough. Thanks for pointing that out.  The largest I
saw was 5.

> > It still hangs in the same place for ReactOS.  It wants me to press
> enter to
> > continue, but it's frozen.
>
> Hrmm.  Does the bios keyboard support work at all?  If you use a
> freedos CD, can you type in dos commands?

It works enough for me to select items from the boot menu.  I'll try
freedos.

> Have you been able to confirm that reactos works on your machine with
> a different bios?

I don't have a different BIOS, but ReactOS works in QEMU fine.

It's possible that the freeze is not related to the keyboard, it just
happens to be what's on the screen.

Thanks,
Myles