[coreboot] k8 status

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Aug 24 20:27:21 CEST 2008

On 24.08.2008 19:49, ron minnich wrote:
> Note there are things left to do that are not at first obvious
>
> 1. all core0's in initram have to load microcode

This is going to hurt. You know that we only have 1k stack on all APs
(that includes core0 of every non-BSP)? With some ugly trickery, I think
2k stack are possible, but you don't want to go there. Our v3 functions
are not really optimized to fit into a small stack.

can't decompress to RAM. And it enforces special placement of microcode
in the LAR on boards like M57SLI rev 2.x.

> 2. as long as APs have to come up in initram, we might as well (last
> pass) fire up the core[1..n] and fix up their microcode too

Can't we postpone microcode loading to stage2 or at least past initram?

> 3. PAE support is needed in initram

Lots of code is broken w.r.t. addresses above 4G. For example, the LAR
code silently truncates all addresses to 32bit.

> This support all exists, it's just a matter of arranging it.

I fear this might be a little more difficult than it looks at first
glance, but I'm sure you can do it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--