[coreboot] romcc dislikes dump_spd_registers!

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 27 18:42:49 CEST 2008

Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I just realized that today's compilation efforts for
> my mainboard fail exactly when I include dump_spd_registers
> in the code. Is this known somehow?
You're running out of registers.

> I really want to know
> the content in the SPD register, since I want to have a go
> at probing the amount of ram present on the board.

Are you calling dump_spd_registers from a function down in the calling
tree? Try calling it directly in auto.c's main function.

> When my code include a call to dump_spd_registers, the build
> process comes to halt due to a shortage of processor registers
> for the code that romcc produces. This shows up in precisely
> the same manner as the error that I asked about earlier today
> within the test suite for romcc.

romcc converts C code to Assembler code that does not rely on working
RAM. Hence we use it for initializing the RAM controller.
You might try to give it more registers, if you have any. SSE? SSE2?
Does your CPU have those? If not, you can only try to simplify the code
and call tree.
> By the way, I work on a port to MS-6147/i440BX/i81371EB/W83977TF.

Awesome!

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613