[coreboot] Resource Allocation discussion

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:59:39 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the read_resources code from qemu after my latest patch.  Is this
> what people are thinking?  Notice that I explicitly allocate VGA space and
> APIC.  At the end of the code I'm pasting in a snippet of the log that shows
> the resources after they are assigned values.

I think I like this. It makes sense to me. The legacy VGA space nadd
the legacy IO space should be reserved in the southbridge as you have
done. The IOAPIC address should be held by the southbridge since that
is where it is a located. The LAPIC should probably be in the
CPU/northbridge device.

It would be handy to show the fixed resources in the output.

> Show resources in subtree (root)...After assigning values.
>  Root Device links 1 child on link 0 cpus
>  Root Device resource base 1000 size 410 align 8 gran 0 limit ffff flags
> 80100 index 0

Coreboot allocates IO from the bottom (0x1000) up? I think it should
allocate top down as it does with memory. I think that the rule is
that the BIOS allocates top down and the OS allocates bottom up.

Marc

--
http://marcjstuff.blogspot.com/