[coreboot] [RFC] Add reviewed-by markers to code sections

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 20:57:44 CET 2008

On 11.12.2008 02:19, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
>
>> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>
>>> In the past, reviews were mostly centered on coding style (not only
>>> cosmetics, but also code flow) and general sanity. While that is
>>> definitely needed, I propose another layer on top of this:
>>>
>>> Verification of the code and comments against data sheet
>>> recommendations and documentation.
>>>
>> I feel very strongly that we do not need more layers.

Let me rephrase that.
I do not want to hold back any commits. That would be insane.

However, whenever someone goes through in-tree code and checks the code
against the data sheets and thinks that the code is OK, he/she should be
free (not obliged) to improve annotation/comments and add a comment that
he/she verified the code against the data sheets.

> There are problems anyway. What if the doco are known to be wrong, due
> to an NDA, and you can't even say "the doco is wrong".

If the NDA is so strict that you can't even say that the docs are wrong,
how are you preventing erroneous "bugfixes" from being committed? I
honestly have no idea how to solve that problem and it exists regardless
of whether my RFC is accepted or not.

> Sorry, I vote with peter.

I understand that because my original RFC implied things I didn't want
to suggest. How about the new text I proposed above?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/