[coreboot] non-zero ICH bios base address. [Was: verified mainboard/chipset]

FENG Yu Ning fengyuning1984 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:13:38 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Gsellmann Peter
<Peter.Gsellmann at automationx.com> wrote:
> $ sudo /usr/local/sbin/flashrom
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "VIA VT82C686A/B", enabling flash write... OK.
> Found chip "EON EN29F002(A)(N)T" (256 KB) at physical address 0xfffc0000.
> No operations were specified.

For memory mapped flash chips, flashrom knows it should look for base
address info and probe chips there. However, for SPI, flashrom only
probes chips at address 0x0 of the 24-bit SPI address space. That is
not always correct.

ICH7 supports flash sharing between BIOS and on-board network
controller. For (my) intel ICH7 desktop board, the vendor bios sets
the rom at the top of the SPI address space, even though BIOS has
taken the whole chip. The BIOS base address is thus 0x1 0000 0000 -
(flash total size). Any SPI command sent to an address below that will
be blocked and we only get "Transaction error!" running flashrom.

yu ning