[coreboot] Yet another idea of an SPI flash chip programmer

FENG Yu Ning fengyuning1984 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:45:00 CET 2008

There are lots of flash programmer out there, but none of them (those
I know about) fits my requirement well.

I would like a programmer to be:

 * able to program SPI flash chips,
 * not slow (program 512k bytes in 3 mins),
 * with a driver whose source code is available (or not difficult to write one),
 * simple, and
 * cheap.

There is one that almost does the job,

[0] would it be very slow?

Recently I find a chip FT2232x

It seems that the chip's IO could be configured to work in bit-bang
mode and thus able to implement as an SPI I/F.

[1] I think it is easy to build a prototype programmer using this chip. Is it?
[2] Is the programmer going to meet my requirement?

yu ning