[coreboot] Flashing problem on the SST49LF004B

Lalitha V.N. vn.lalitha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:36:44 CET 2008

Hello all ............

we are working on the coreboot project .....

Initially we are copied the BIOS(PM49FL004)  content that is present in the
motherboard( ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800)

in a file name called jan-14  and tried to flash(write) the content in the
filename  jan-14 on to a new flashrom SST49LF004B..

but flash is not happened properly .. these are the steps we followed ...

[root at turtle9 flashrom]# flashrom

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

No LinuxBIOS table found.

Found chipset "VT8237", enabling flash write... OK.

generic_spi_command called, but no SPI chipset detected

Pm49FL004 found at physical address 0xfff80000.

Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB).

No operations were specified.

*Reading the original Bios content in to the file jan14:*

[root at turtle9 flashrom]# flashrom -r jan14

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

No LinuxBIOS table found.

Found chipset "VT8237", enabling flash write... OK.

generic_spi_command called, but no SPI chipset detected

Pm49FL004 found at physical address 0xfff80000.

Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB).

Reading Flash...done

 [root at turtle9 flashrom]# flashrom -v jan14

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

No LinuxBIOS table found.

Found chipset "VT8237", enabling flash write... OK.

generic_spi_command called, but no SPI chipset detected

Pm49FL004 found at physical address 0xfff80000.

Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB).

Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.

Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

 ***Then we removed the original Bios chip and inserted the new flashrom
SST49LF004B and tried to flash(write)

the content present in the filename jan14 ,but finally we got the result as
bellow ........

*Writing on to the new Bios chip (SST49LF004B):*

[root at turtle9 flashrom]# flashrom -w jan14

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

No LinuxBIOS table found.

Found chipset "VT8237", enabling flash write... OK.

generic_spi_command called, but no SPI chipset detected

SST49LF004A/B found at physical address 0xfff80000.

Flash part is SST49LF004A/B (512 KB).

Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.

Programming page: 0007 at address: 0x00070000

*Then we varified .....*
 [root at turtle9 flashrom]# flashrom -v jan14

 Calibrating delay loop... okNo LinuxBIOS table found.Found chipset
"VT8237": Enabling flash write... OK.SST49LF004A/B found at physical
address: 0xfff80000Flash part is SST49LF004A/B (512 KB)Flash image
seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.Verifying flash - FAILED

 So we tried to change the flashrom utility code..so  first we downloaded
coreboot code

from the coreboot.org then in that we tried to change  the code in
util/flashrom file but stil we

are unable to get the  way  where  we  need to  change  the  code  such
that  the flash can happen ...

we  are also gone through the datasheet of SST49LF004B and PM49FL004 but we
are not getting

any exact  idea .......

please  guide  us...............

with regards,