[coreboot] Run PCI rom before PCI bus scan??

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Feb 7 04:15:03 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:10:10PM -0500, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> OK, here is what I have picked up reading, reading, and more
> reading:
>
> 1. When the system is powered on "At this point, the LAN
> controller is in the D0u state"

Check.

> 2. The "Platform LAN Connect component" is actually a command
> script (probibly a rom written in assembly) runs and sets up the
> CSR register

That would explain things.

> (I could setup a script in the mainboard directory and run from
> auto.c).

Sounds like a plan.

> 3. At this point it goes into a DOa state.

Yep.

> 3. The "Platform LAN Connect component" hands it over to the bios
> (coreboot) to setup "Memory, or I/O Base Registers in the PCI
> Configuration space"

Check. Though I don't think this is an active hand-over from the
connect component, rather that it is called from the BIOS, then
when it has finished the BIOS continues on.

> 4. nic is setup and ready to go!
>
> What do you think?

This matches your observations and the datasheet quotes. Since the
Platform LAN Connect component is indeed software it is no doubt the
missing piece of your puzzle.

//Peter