[coreboot] goal for march summit

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Feb 7 15:17:08 CET 2008

On 06.02.2008 23:23, ron minnich wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:22 PM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately not.  The 8111 chipset on the Serengeti Cheetah is open,
>> but they aren't available any more in real life.  Everything else
>> is still closed, but hopefully not for ever.
>>

> we can get v3 up on simnow with old chipset, I am hoping to find an
> amd-based board with newer chipsets.

The problem with SimNow is that it only works on x86-64 machines. I do
all of my development on my x86 (32bit) laptop, so if I ever want to
test an x86-64 v3 port, I have to get an extra machine anyway. Hm.

I'd really like to have us port existing support for a chipset from v2
to v3, so we can compare settings in case something goes wrong.
Now for choosing the chipset:
- Nvidia is pretty much ruled out if we want any chance of data sheet
access.
- SIS have contributed code, but I don't know about data sheets. Besides
that, it is very difficult to buy a board with any SIS chipset (in Germany).
- VIA is a possible target because we already have some code in v2 and
at least one person has access to their data sheets, but they require an
NDA. Plus, boards with the chipset are rather easy to buy.
- AMD may work out in the next few months... RS690 data sheets (register
reference guide) are publicly available, but SB600 is pretty much secret.

Marc: Any idea whether the process of publishing the SB600 data sheets
is handled by the same persons who are currently occupied with cleaning
AMD/ATI Radeon data sheets?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--