[coreboot] Run PCI rom before PCI bus scan??

Marc Karasek Marc.Karasek at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 7 18:45:20 CET 2008

Let me add me two cents..

I have dealt with the Intel MACs in the past so let me dreg up some

 From what I recall,  you had a serial eeprom on the board that
contained the init for the chip.  This was the 82545GM.

The eeprom image was protected by a CRC and if the CRC failed it would
not load the image.  The device would also not be visible on the PCI Bus
unless the eeprom was loaded.  I have attached the 82545 eeprom spec
sheet (freely avail from Intel) maybe this will give you some insight.

Intel has a program to read/update the paramters.  I never used it,
mainly because I was on an embedded system running MIPS-Linux and they
would only provide a x86 binary, no src code.   It took me a couple of
iterations to get the eeprom right.  Maybe you can get the utility from
Intel and dump the eeprom.

What I do not understand is why you would be having problems with
coreboot.  the only thing I can guess is the default eeprom is putting
the MAC into a state that the BIOS must take it out of (maybe WoL).  Did
you say you have the spec sheet for the part and it talks about the eeprom?

Marc Karasek
Sun Microsystems
mailto:marc.karasek at sun.com