[coreboot] is ACPI a superset of _MP_ or not?

yhlu yinghailu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:10:58 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 10:04 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 9:51 PM, yhlu <yinghailu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > and linux kernel will use ACPI table with DSDT and use MP Table to get
> > irq routing for devices.
>
> So that means that ACPI is not a superset of _MP_. If you need both
> tables, then ACPI can not be a proper superset.
>
> Which means we can not build a machine with only an ACPI table -- we
> need both ACPI and _MP_ tables.

If you have one DSDT that could handle irq routing, (that DSDT need
one clean room implementation, instead of "stealing" or referring
dumping from legacy BIOS)
you could acpi with DSDT only.

you will still need pirq table for some application to find slot
number for pci card.

the tiny kernel need to have acpi support, and according to Andi that
will need extra 270K bytes.

YH