[coreboot] Building VSA on a Slackware 11.0 system gives these errors (See script output, might be long.)

Chris Kilgour techie at whiterocker.com
Tue Feb 12 04:11:05 CET 2008

Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> On my Slackware 11.0 system I decided to see if the recently released
> OpenVSA code would build on my system.
> root at jimkirk:/usr/src/lobos/openvsa# make
You are very trusting to build a newly-seeded experimental tree as root!

> make -C sysmgr vsainit.bin
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/lobos/openvsa/sysmgr'
> gcc -c -Wall -Werror -fno-strict-aliasing -march=i586 -Os -I../inc
> -I../sysmgr -MD -o chip.o chip.S
> chip.S: Assembler messages:
> chip.S:88: Warning: line numbers must be positive; line number 0 rejected
> gcc -c -Wall -Werror -fno-strict-aliasing -march=i586 -Os -I../inc
> -I../sysmgr -MD -o smis.o smis.S
> smis.S: Assembler messages:
> smis.S:153: Warning: line numbers must be positive; line number 0 rejected
I'm not sure why these occur.  I was unable to reproduce these warnings,
and I am not sure where line numbers are even brought into the picture...

> gcc -c -Wall -Werror -fno-strict-aliasing -march=i586 -Os -I../inc
> -I../sysmgr -MD -o timeout.o timeout.c
> timeout.c: In function `Set_MBus_IO_Timeout':
> timeout.c:372: warning: 'PhysPtr' might be used uninitialized in this
> function
> make[1]: *** [timeout.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lobos/openvsa/sysmgr'
> make: *** [sysmgr/sysmgr.vsm] Error 2
I had originally turned on '-Wall -Werror' to ensure that any
non-standard C-language constructs in the VSA that was accepted by
Microsoft C would have a higher chance of being caught by the OpenVSA
build.  In this case it seems like a relatively harmless warning led to

> Is that normal? And what else should be done to continue?
No it is not normal.  The problem does not exhibit itself under GCC 4.1.0.

I see that Slackware 11.0 ships GCC 3.4.6.  I was able to reproduce the
problem with gcc34 on Fedora.

Please see the mailing list for trivial patch that fixes this build issue.