[coreboot] Free BIOS for personal computers and laptops - you will explode!

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 04:53:44 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 6:25 PM, Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some (most?) hardware vendors say they only support MS Windows, the same
> logic could be applied. An open-source firmware provides a lot more
> assurance that the BIOS is free of malicious code.

The arguments against open source bios are almost exactly the
arguments I heard years ago against open source OS.

FUD.

> > For example, a laptop battery could explode if incorrect
> > power management algorithms were applied.
>

> And with the support of the vendor(s) and some better documentation, we can
> know how to avoid such issues.

i want to know what laptops can explode if the software goes awry. In
fact, I think the FAA wants to know. Laptops that can explode if
software goes crazy should not be allowed on an airplane. Any chance
intel will tell us more?

> I haven't the ambition to register with the site, is there any actual
> hardware init code there? And what's the point of starting another project,
> when coreboot can already load tiano (so I've heard)?

coreboot has loaded tianocore.

I have registered at tianocore.org. There is no hardware init code
there, nor will there ever be.

You can't build a working BIOS with the source code from tianocore.org
-- unless you add coreboot to it.

ron