[coreboot] Elf parser in v3

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Feb 14 19:25:49 CET 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:33:48PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
>>  > The ELF parser in v3 ought to be removed.
>>
>>  Do you mean elfboot?
>>

> yes indeed.
>
> One big reason is that you don't want to find out, after you have
> burned an elf into the coreboot image, that the elf has a problem.
>
> When LAR parses the ELF, you know at coreboot build time that things
> are probably ok. When coreboot parses the ELF, you don't know
> until power on/reset -- a very bad time to find out there is a problem.
>
> So elfboot should be removed from coreboot. We don't need it in there.

Please, lets not make any quick decisions here. We can disable it per
default with a CONFIG option for those who do not want it.  But unless
lar does the right thing when packing/unpacking/packing a lar, this
should not be removed. It's so small, it really doesnt hurt.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613