[coreboot] GeForce 8600GT with coreboot [was: m57sli VGA failure]

Ronald Hoogenboom ronald at zonnet.nl
Mon Feb 18 21:18:12 CET 2008

Hi Peter,

> > And there still isn't any VGA output.
> :(
> Can you try a few different graphics cards? My GeForce 6200 cheapo
> card works well.

I've been able to borrow a cheapo ATI RV515 [Radeon X1300] and that one
indeed works. So what is the story with the Nvidia GeForce 8600GT? Why
doesn't the bootrom on the card initialize it properly via the x86

Is there /ANYBODY/ who has had some success with an nvidia 8600GT and
coreboot? Or are there other VGA cards that have similar problems?

Something else I noticed is that the CPU fan speed isn't regulated with
coreboot. The K8-temp goes over 90 C and the fan is still reving slow at
800 RPM (nice and quiet, but not so good for my athlons health).