[coreboot] IDE cable select question

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Fri Feb 22 19:56:34 CET 2008

Quoting Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org>:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:13:25PM -0500, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>> Ok then, I think it may complicate things too much if we had a
>> IDENTIFY_DRIVE command query to the drive (Note: this command query is
>> also used for DMA settings). That would be like basicly re-writing an
>> IDE driver??
>>
>> So, I propose a global option (IDE_CABLE = 40 or 80) that can easily
>> be adjusted from Config.lb in the targets directory, that sets the
>> value for a simple function in
>> src/southbridge/intel/i82801xx/i82801xx_ide.c.
>> Does that make sense?
>
> I'd really prefer something that's autosensing, if that's possible, so that
> changing hard drives does not cause problems or require a bios flash...

It wouldn't cause any issues changing the drive. Were just talking
about the cable. If you use an ATA33 drive on a 80 pin cable it works
fine it just runs at ATA33 speed. My problem is I have an ATA100 drive
and 80 pin cable but Linux thinks I have a 40 pin cable therefore it
is only running at ATA33 speed.

Thanks - Joe