[coreboot] IDE cable select question

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Fri Feb 22 21:03:03 CET 2008

Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:

> Quoting ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM,  <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>  It is the Intel 82801DB ICH4 chipset. I think most of the ICH's are
>>>  the same on this. So are you saying this can be set in filo, or
>>>  coreboot?
>>
>> I think coreboot has to do it ... if the kernel can not.
>>
>> ron
>>
> Ok then, I think it may complicate things too much if we had a
> IDENTIFY_DRIVE command query to the drive (Note: this command query is
> also used for DMA settings). That would be like basicly re-writing an
> IDE driver??

After some futher reading, I don't know if this would even be possible
with coreboot. It would have to be done with filo (file does this
command query anyways and prints out the drive model number) when the
drives are fully initialized. Looks like senerio number two...

> So, I propose a global option (IDE_CABLE = 40 or 80) that can easily
> be adjusted from Config.lb in the targets directory, that sets the
> value for a simple function in
> src/southbridge/intel/i82801xx/i82801xx_ide.c.
> Does that make sense?

If there are no objections I will submit a patch. What coreboot system
files need to be modified for a global option?

Thanks - Joe